Pages

Sunday 31 March 2013

Neon limelight

Happy Easter Everyone :) I hope you are all having a fabulous morning wherever you are...and well done to all of you that managed to commit to lent this year! 

That being said, it is spring! Well...it has been for the last 10 days, but it is spring! My birthday was on the 20th so still have to do a post on that but today I have a special something written all about neon.


At 10 years old, pre-puberty and naive, I used to look at teenage girls and wonder if they knew just how tacky they actually looked! Why on earth, would anybody in their right mind even consider buying anything neon? But now, bearing fifteen years and your average fashion obsessed teenage girl…. I, of course bear neon fever. If only my ten year old self could see me know. I imagine my past-self’s mouth open so wide, I am sure you could fit a can of coke can through it, thank the lord that time machines have not yet been invented yet. Amen.

Many have noticed my uncontrollable urge for all things neon and bright. So, like a moth to a flame, it is no wonder that bright green neon coats have captured my heart and always make me whimper as I stroll past designer shops selling delicious green neon coats that I simply cannot afford...
I have fallen deeply, madly in love with neon clothing, in fact it is probably safe to admit that I am adamantly infatuated...There's just something so dashing about it that I absolutely adore; it exudes an air of practical youth and fun.

Neon was first discovered by a Scottish chemist who cooled a sample of the atmosphere until it liquefied, and then proceeded to warm the liquid and managed to capture three gases as they boiled off: krypton, xenon, and neon...I think the fashion industry has a lot to thank science for.

Just a few years back, if you were spotted sporting neon, I assure you, eyebrows would be quick to soar like Para glides. But what was once a fashion faux pas is extremely slowly developing itself into a chic sartorial trend. And I mean slowly...so slow neon is still probably socially unacceptable to wear in certain places in Dubai. When I am editor of British Vogue, I shall brainwash the world into purchasing nothing other but neon coats. Fashion would be extremely daft to ignore the beginning of the neon craze…imagine what an apocalypse it would be if my glorious plan did not come through…no, I shall not think of such disastrous means. I can only dream of my sweet success.

I know that a lot of people would be petrified to sport a neon coat out open…and since Dubai bearing its unforgiving scorching weather, there is even lesser chance of anybody doing so. But come winter, I shall sport the bright green acne coat that has been on my wish list for absolutely forever. I can imagine myself wearing the beauteous coat sitting front row at the Burberry Autumn-Winter fashion show 2014 thinking just how marvellous and superior my neon coat is compared to all the dull traditional trenches…Watch out Christopher Bailey there’s a new coat in town!

She, who wears a green neon coat, is the quirky cool girl from school; the one you would want to sit next to in class, praying that you would become cooler via osmosis. Her neon is infectious, she is armed with saucy looks and her neon clothes bearing a thrilling demeanour...Immediately,I’m obsessed.

A lot of people think that if you are wearing more than one neon item (who else is sick of the over-rated ‘colour pops’ that accentuated every winter outfit), your shades of neon have to match. But they don't! Personally, I love pairing different washes of neon together. I think two-toned looks are more interesting and scream sugar and spice. Of course, do not go overboard for the love of god. Stick to a maximum of two neon items as you do not want to look like a blind ludicrous twit. There's absolutely no way to sport neon and not draw attention. But a thing to keep in mind if you are colour bashful: Neon is currently being used as a cryogenic refrigerant agent. So you can always resort to freezing yourself and coming back to life in a few decades, once you've developed slightly more confidence.

Neon can also be lovely and also a quick way of shaking up your most comfortable outfit, which makes it perfect for running errands. And as the weather starts to gradually gets cooler (for all the Dubai girls, a few degrees makes all the difference!), and time gradually weaves itself into winter, do not be faint hearted and thus being fabulously fearless and blithely putting on that bright green neon coat!

No comments:

Post a Comment