Pages

Thursday 3 January 2013

Short story: My Cardigan



Before you read this I just want to say this story is a bit bonkers... like myself you can argue haha! I got inspired from a blogger called JennyScribbles who wrote a similar piece on a 'sweater' (I think the correct term for it is jumper *crazy chuckling hyena laugh*). I decided to write one a piece on a cardigan because, I love me some cardigans for winter time! It is very ''out there' but nevertheless, it is creative writing, Ha more like creative writing for the insane but anyways here goes nothing. Enjoy!

My Cardigan

I have a lot of clothes. In the words of Sarah Jessica Parker “I like my money right where I can see it, hanging in my closet.” And hanging in the heart of my closet; there hangs a cardigan. This cardigan is my most sacred item of clothing.

We all seek for happiness, but most of us struggle to find it. Ultimately, we blame ourselves. And it seems we have all been waiting for that “ah, hah” moment where all loose ends finally pull together to create a cardigan. The cardigan that we have been knitting our entire lives.  The cardigan that when we finally put on, will symbolise us accepting our true selves. Our cardigans will unveil who it is we truly are.

But what if, you started knitting the wrong pattern? What if, you switched patterns half way? What would happen if your cardigan is in fact a colourful concoction of lots of patterns,not quite ready to commit yourself to one or the other. Does this mean that you are in struggle to find yourself? Or even your purpose in life itself? Perhaps when your cardigan has been completed you will become dumbfounded that you were making your cardigan too small all the while, as you were painstakingly knitting away.

Every so often, I think about what my future cardigan will look like in years to come. I chuckle at how outlandish it would appear. I imagine my cardigan to have multi-coloured wool representing my fickleness with the various directions I have taken during my lifetime. My cardigan would commence with a pale lime pattern. But precipitously, streaks of cherry and azure wool would then intermingle with the pale lime. Turquoise and soft blue wool would represent the people who have come to my aid when I needed it most. And people who have brought me great joy would represent the flickers of sparkly wool. Around where my heart rests, the thread will be more delicate, revealing it has had gone through great distress, tenderness and abrasion. 

It is inevitable that influences of other people’s patterns will eventually make their way into your cardigan. Nonetheless, that is one of the key procedures when forming your cardigan; the people that you meet will undoubtedly influence your pattern and of course, your knit style.

Should we be jealous of the people who know unerringly what pattern they want to follow? Or should we envy those who stick to their pattern and fashion it to perfection, without a single fray or blemish insight?  One may have a bright purple cardigan to stand, swinging it around and boasting how their cardigan is in fact ‘better’ than yours. Whilst others may choose to conceal their cardigan under layers of clothing as they are insecure about exposing their genuine colours.

At times it feels as if it would be much less hassle to knit a fresh new cardigan. Now that you know exactly what pattern you want to follow, this time you could make your cardigan without a single imperfection. You would now have the knowledge to ensure that it would never shrink or fade. Just like how would possess the expertise to use thicker wool around the heart.

When all is said and done, and your cardigan is eventually completed, would it end up looking anything like you thought it would be?

No comments:

Post a Comment